Re: dualcore performance-smp technology

> Hi folks,
>
> FreeBSD-6.2-amd64
>
> Pls advice how to make FreeBSD fully utinize the benefit of dualcore.
> In Linux I recompiled a smp-kernel then it used dualcore performance.
> TIA
>

> B.R.
> Stephen Liu

Hi!

I suggest you have a look at the output of "dmesg". More often than not, SMP functionality is already enabled. Another way to figure out how many processors are active, check "sysctl hw.ncpu". If the output of the latter is one, you make a new kernel in FreeBSD as well. There should be a configuration called "SMP" already available. Consult the manual to see how compiling a kernel is done in detail.

Cheers,

Benjamin