Re: Ultrium 448 Tape Drive

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:47:23PM -0000, jhall_(_at_)_vandaliamo_(_dot_)_net wrote:

> >From what I have read, I think the Ultrium tape drive is completely
> compatible with FreeBSD.  If I am understanding the specs correctly, it
> uses hardware compression to compress data.  And, again if I am
> understanding everything correctly, I should be able to use the mt command
> to tell the tape drive to use hardware compression.
>
> This is the first server I have used FreeBSD on with a tape drive and want
> to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.

Any tape drive that uses standard SCSI as does the 'Ultrium'  will
work just fine.   I have used DDS, DLT and LTO with no problem.

I am assuming by Ultrium you mean the HP LTO drives.  They read
and wrote very fast and seemed reliable, but didn't seem to have
the high speed file seek ability of the others.   Seeks (eg mt fsf nn)
down the tape took almost as long as just reading the tape.
That seemed strange to me.

I have not tried the hardware compression.   I assume it works on LTO as
well as any of the other format drives.

////jerry