Re: Any way to probe snd card?

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:16:00PM -0500, Dak Ghatikachalam wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Gary Kline <kline_(_at_)_tao_(_dot_)_thought_(_dot_)_org> wrote:
> >

> >        I'm pretty stunned at how well gnome2 works on my
> >        antique 400MHz backup system.  [[ gnome2-lite wouldn't go, for
> >        some reason.... [?] ]]  Anyway, I do have a sound card in this
> >        one, but which *.ko I load or compile is the question.  If
> >        memory serves, I think this has  a Matrox card.  I've tried
> >        adding a few sound [snd_*.ko] files, but no sound.  The OSS
> >        dialogs open, but the tests produce no sound..  Would the sound
> >        card show up in dmesg if there were a sound card hiding?
> >
> >        Any help out there?  This old box is an HP Kayak "XU/XW".
>

> I solved most of my sound problems by taking actions reading
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>
> regards
> Dak

	Hm.  I forgot about adding the "hints.*"; but catenating
	/dev/sndstat indicates that I use snd_sb16.ko and compiling that
	in gives me a bunch of fatal undefines.  So I added "snd_sbc"
	to the KERNCONF and am recompiling.

	Shouldn't be this hard; this worked with REdhat, just
	straightaway.  ....

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline_(_at_)_thought_(_dot_)_org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix