Re: recovery after power outage

Jerry McAllister wrote:

Well, do as it says - choose a shell and run fsck manually.

Heh, for starters I assumed (always a bad thing) that fsck wasn't available
because I did a 'which fsck' and got 'which not found' as a response. But
fsck itself is there.

Just run /sbin/fsck /dev/ad1s1c.   Actually that would be a somewhat
unusual address - what they call a 'dangerously dedicated' disk.

Can you explain or point me to more info on why that was a poor choice on my
part? To explain more this is a 250 GB hard drive which is the primary slave
and is mostly used as a data repository and shared via samba on my home
office lan.

But I think fsck should be able to work through it.

snip

It the manual fscks don't work, then you may have to try some
extreme tactics to recover things on that partition or abandon

snip

If you end up rebuilding the drive, then the next time make a
FreeBSD slice and then make a partition within that slice to
avoid that 'dangerously dedicated' config.

I am not getting past this error with fsck. Get 16 lines saying:

ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE>
LBA=xxx

for xxx in [191..206]

then  a msg listing disk sectors that can't be read 128 through 143 and
finally:

/dev/ad1s1c: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)

If I can recover the disk which has about 60GB's used out of 250GB and lose
a few sectors it's really not a bad deal probably, but how do I go about
trying at this point?

Also it won't reboot now, although I've run fsck complete including on ads0.
Do I have to edit /etc/fstab so ads1 isn't mounted to get a good boot?
Unfortunately /usr isn't getting mounted and I have not editor available
afaik.

Marty