Re: Backspaces converted to ^? -- want to get rid of ^? -_-...

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Bill Campbell wrote:

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007, youshi10_(_at_)_u_(_dot_)_washington_(_dot_)_edu wrote:
      Ok, this happens regularly on my FreeBSD box at home when I'm not
      su'ed in as root using vim, or the SuSe box at work when I VNC into
      it (using vim once again), and I'm frankly quite tired of lame
      control characters screwing up my day. Is there any way to fix this
      behavior so pressing backspace erases a character, not prints out a
      ^? character?

This is generally a function of your terminal emulator or xterm and is a
carryover from old DEC terminal's stupid keyboard mappings.

The attached XTerm file put in $HOME/XTerm will get xterms to send ctrl-h
from the backspace key.  Other programs like putty typically have a
keyboard configuration that permits setting the backspace key to send
either ctrl-H or a DEL character.

I leave it as an exercise for the student to figure out my other tweaks in
this file :-).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill_(_at_)_Celestial_(_dot_)_COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software, LLC

``Microsoft IIS has more holes than a wheel of Swiss Cheese after a shotgun
blast'' -- John Dvorak

Hmmm... you have a lot of different tweaks in there.
I'll definitely implement the delete thing as soon as possible.
Thanks!
-Garrett