locale.getlocale returns encoding UTF8, should it better be UTF-8?

When testing the current OpenErp client on FreeBSD it showed me

WARNING:translate:Unable to set locale de_DE.UTF8

My LANG is set to de_DE.UTF-8

Investigating this I found that locale.getlocale returned UTF8 as
character encoding. FreeBSD uses UTF-8, so maybe this should be changed?

After I patched the openerp client with

 if encoding == 'UTF8':
            encoding = 'UTF-8'

it starts without error msg, and (as far as it's translated) in german.

This is on 7.1-prerelease with python python25-2.5.2_3