[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: System perforamance 4.x vs. 5.x and 6.x
- To: "Brett Bump" <bbump_(_at_)_rsts_(_dot_)_org>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org>
- Subject: Re: System perforamance 4.x vs. 5.x and 6.x
- From: "Steven Hartland" <killing_(_at_)_multiplay_(_dot_)_co_(_dot_)_uk>
- Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:45:58 -0000
- Cc: freebsd-performance_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple; d=multiplay.co.uk; s=Multiplay; t=1203029163; x=1203633963; q=dns/txt; h=Received: Message-ID:From:To:Cc:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; bh=D52AVzftNut5nWZ7B4y1m lBcpg17bDt557SR08XGyE0=; b=qCWdTci3hD/2d4I4w7xPsxhtwaDUMJasY63G2 CypU+SQiuERnzMyPTugqJDIx5m5/Qqsca7Z/lvYK2UEHAIBtdWAUINHRjGWERIhZ s3kvXuoZtmGB7Sf/6LPJsL00p2UEYiXBkmYitQj/1PYjPtiLCNs26mDbsRJjs72J RP+2FQ=
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Bump" <bbump_(_at_)_rsts_(_dot_)_org>
I would call 120 processes with a load average of 0.03 and 99.9 idle
with 10-20 sendmail processes and 30 apache jobs nothing to write home
about. But when that jumps to 250 processes, a load average of 30 with
50% idle (5-10 second waits on single character ssh echo) a bit busy.
That usually means my heavy pop3 users are checking in at the same time
someone (or 2 or 3) have sent email to the large volume listservs. Proc
stat doesn't show as much as gstat and iostat. Gstat alwasy shows my
drive with /var/mail being 97-100% busy and iostat will always show hi
tps rates, but never anything above 8MB/s (4.10 gave me 30MB/s+).
Are you running any php on your machine? If so did you upgrade php as
well from say 5.1.x => 5.2.x and make use of open_basedir is so
the following thread may be interest:-
PHP with open_basedir performance problem
This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.
In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmaster_(_at_)_multiplay_(_dot_)_co_(_dot_)_uk_(_dot_)_
freebsd-performance_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-performance-unsubscribe_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org"