Re: Installing from USB drive

Dan Langille wrote:

If your BIOS can boot from a USB CD-ROM, you will be able to install FreeBSD with no problems.

Should.

I've been able to boot from the USB CD-ROM but failed to install:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/thinkpad-x61s.php

FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x both failed. Eventually I succeeded with a docking station that contained a CD-ROM drive.

I must have been lucky. All my recent laptops can boot / install FreeBSD from USB CD-ROM. I only need this on the eeePC however. I also have a desktop without an internal CD and regularly use the USB CD to install. I have not been so lucky with USB hard disks though. They will not boot on anything but my most recent machines.