Re: FreeBSD on laptops

| By Reg Me Please <regmeplease_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com>
|                                          [ 2008-10-02 16:48 +0200 ]
> I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
> 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
> 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
> 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops

Mostly good.  Suspending doesn't work on an SMP kernel, but CPU clock speed
scaling is supported via powerd.  ACPI mostly works for me, but I have to
disable some hardware monitoring features to avoid EC related error
messages.

> 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)

Only on i386 without PAE - you'll be limited to 4 gig of RAM, but that's
probably fine on a laptop.

> 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)

Not quite yet...

> 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB

I've had no problem with high def audio on my HP Pavilion.  Haven't tried my
card reader.  USB works, but is arguably the least reliable part of FreeBSD
right now... look out for USB2.

I am answering with experience of running FreeBSD 7.0 on an HP Pavilion
dv2600.

Regards,
Aragon