Re: Network Monitoring

On 05/01/2006, at 1:20 AM, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

Hi!

nagios (also in the ports). It's extremely flexible.

We have performance issues with it (approx. 400 systems).

Is this just us or ... ?

Nope not just you, 1k hosts and the system was almost unusable on a dual amd mp2800, in the end I wrote my own monitoring system running from a db backend and achieved the same results as nagios with 1/50th the actual load whilst also keeping historical data in a db.

Nagios is great if you need the multitude of host checks (ssh,apache,mysql,postgres, etc etc) for a core network, but if you're just after something to check host connectivity it may not be the right tool for the job.

Cheers,

Mark