[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

multiple pipes cause slowdown



I've got a FreeBSD system setup and I'm using dummynet to manage bandwidth.
Here is what I am seeing:

We are communicating with a server on a 100Mbit ethernet segment in the
freebsd box as fxp0 and an 11Mbit wireless client that is getting throttled
with ipfw pipes.
If I add two pipes limiting my two clients A and B to 1Mbit each then here
is what happens.

Client A does a transfer to/from the server and gets 1Mbps up and 1Mbps down
Client B does a transfer to/from the server and gets 1Mbps up and 1Mbps down
Clients A & B do simultaneous transfers to the server and each get between
670 and 850 Kbps

If I delete the pipes and the firewall rules, they behave like regular
11Mbit unthrottled clients sharing the available wireless bandwidth
(although not necessarily equally).

It gets worse when I start doing 3 or 4 clients each at 1Mbit, I've also
tried setting up 4 clients at 512Kbps and the performance does the same
thing, essentially gets cut significantly the more pipes we have.  Here are
the rules I'm using:

ipfw add 100 pipe 100 all from any to 192.168.1.50 xmit wi0
ipfw add 100 pipe 5100 all from 192.168.1.50 to any recv wi0
ipfw pipe 100 config bw 1024Kbits/s
ipfw pipe 5100 config bw 1024Kbits/s

ipfw add 101 pipe 101 all from any to 192.168.1.51 xmit wi0
ipfw add 101 pipe 5101 all from 192.168.1.51 to any recv wi0
ipfw pipe 101 config bw 1024Kbits/s
ipfw pipe 5101 config bw 1024Kbits/s

I've played with using in/out instead of recv/xmit and even not specifying a
direction at all (which makes traffic to the client get cut in half but
traffic from the client remains as high as if I specify which interface to
throttle on).  ipfw pipe list shows no dropped packets and looks like it's
behaving normally, other than the slowdown for multiple clients.  I'm not
specifying a delay and latency does not seem abnormally high.

I am using 5.0 Release and I have HZ=1000 compiled in the kernel.
Here are my sysctl vars:
net.inet.ip.fw.enable: 1
net.inet.ip.fw.autoinc_step: 100
net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass: 0
net.inet.ip.fw.debug: 0
net.inet.ip.fw.verbose: 0
net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit: 1
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_buckets: 256
net.inet.ip.fw.curr_dyn_buckets: 256
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_count: 2
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_max: 4096
net.inet.ip.fw.static_count: 72
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime: 300
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_syn_lifetime: 20
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_fin_lifetime: 1
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_rst_lifetime: 1
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_udp_lifetime: 10
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_short_lifetime: 5
net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_keepalive: 1
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw: 0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_drop: 0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw_collisions: 0
net.link.ether.bdg_fw_avg: 0
net.link.ether.bdg_fw_ticks: 0
net.link.ether.bdg_fw_count: 0
net.link.ether.ipfw: 0
net.inet6.ip6.fw.enable: 0
net.inet6.ip6.fw.debug: 0
net.inet6.ip6.fw.verbose: 0
net.inet6.ip6.fw.verbose_limit: 1


net.inet.ip.dummynet.hash_size: 64
net.inet.ip.dummynet.curr_time: 99067502
net.inet.ip.dummynet.ready_heap: 16
net.inet.ip.dummynet.extract_heap: 16
net.inet.ip.dummynet.searches: 0
net.inet.ip.dummynet.search_steps: 0
net.inet.ip.dummynet.expire: 1
net.inet.ip.dummynet.max_chain_len: 16
net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_lookup_depth: 256
net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_avg_pkt_size: 512
net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_max_pkt_size: 1500

Am I just doing something stupid or does the dummynet/QoS implementation in
FreeBSD need some work.  If so, I may be able to help and contribute.
Thanks,

vec



Visit your host, monkey.org