Re: find -lname and -ilname implemented

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Mike Meyer wrote:

The problem with this argument is that there are no limits on it, other than the developers definition of "trivial". OS X has already carried this argument to the point that they've replaced /bin/sh with bash.

i've seen that on linux, that /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash and IMHO that's just wrong.

otherwise, i think there's nothing wrong with adding functionality to 'find', as long as it doesn't break anything. a bash script that starts with '#!/bin/sh' is begging to break things (i filed a kde bug report about that; there was a bash-centric script that didn't work with sh), i can't think of a case that added functionality to find would break anything.

i'm especially in favor of adding "unnecessary" functionality since i've recently been working on some core-install solaris boxes... the find function doesn't support 'maxdepth', the grep has no '-A', '-B' or '-C' options... i could go on, but the security requirements don't allow us to install gnu-find, gnu-grep, etc... if it doesn't break anything and it increases compatibility, i can't think of any reason to fight it.

you seem opposed to the changes to find, but haven't cited any cases where the added functionality would be a problem. if we were to draw two columns on a piece of paper and label the columns "pro" and "con", then list consequences of the added functionality to find, we'd come up with a few things for the "pro" column... but you haven't really convinced me that anything needs to be added to the "con" column, except that you think it's not needed.

 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

	"It really depends upon how our nation conducts itself in
	 foreign policy. If we're an arrogant nation, they'll
	 resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll
	 welcome us."
		-- George "dubya" Bush
		Bush-Gore debate, 11 Oct 2000

freebsd-hackers_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-hackers-unsubscribe_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org"

Visit your host, monkey.org