Re: Announcing GNOME 2.20.0 for FreeBSD

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:56:51 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_(_at_)_FreeBSD_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

GNOME 2.20.0 was just released (read all about it at
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.20/notes/en/), and we have completed the
porting effort.  As with previous releases of GNOME, we took the 2.19
development cycle to implement a FreeBSD-internal change.  This time, we
collapsed the share/gnome/ hierarchy down to just share/ (*).  This
greatly simplifies porting efforts, and should also pre-squish any
prefix-related bugs.  The downside of this change is that it is huge as
it affects all ports that rely on gnomeprefix.

This means that while GNOME 2.20.0 is now available for FreeBSD in
MarcusCom CVS (see http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/develfaq.html), it
will not be hitting the ports tree for a while longer.  We need to run a
full pointyhat build with our local patches to make sure we haven't
missed anything.  Once that is successfully completed, you can expect
GNOME 2.20, and all of the related changes to come flooding in to a
cvsup server near you.

I will updating develfaq.html to show how to upgrade from 2.18 to 2.20 tonight when I am home. It is pretty simple to upgrade GNOME. I have successed upgrade in my test box by:

	# portmaster -o textproc/rarian textproc/scrollkeeper
	# portmaster -a

As for the portupgrade users, I haven't test it but I image that it shouldn't be difference with portmaster. You can do this.

	# portupgrade -o textproc/rarian textproc/scrollkeeper
	# portupgrade -a

If anyone have any problem with runtime, give us a shout as usually.

Cheers,
Mezz

In the meantime, packages for i386 and amd64 are being built
(http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q21), and we still need
those users running 2.20 to provide us some cool screenshots.

(*) For 2.22, we're thinking of changes all references of GNOME to SMURF
to see if anyone notices.

Joe

--
mezz7_(_at_)_cox_(_dot_)_net  -  mezz_(_at_)_FreeBSD_(_dot_)_org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)