firewire disk support?

How well does FreeBSD support firewire disks?
Does hotplugging work properly?
Does a bus reset endanger data?
Can I turn the disk write cache on and off?
Can I access SMART info?
How fast are they?
Specific firewire-to-sata bridges that are recommended?
Specific bridges to avoid?
Any known problems?

I have a couple of USB-to-*ATA bridges and they are slow,
and they don't allow turning the disk's write cache off,
or access to SMART info.  I know that firewire will be
slower than esata, but the USB ones are really slow
(10-15 MB/s) and not being able to turn the write cache
on and off is a serious problem.