Re: Q: Is there any use for Oracle database port installation under Linux compat root ?

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Scott T. Hildreth
<shildret_(_at_)_scotth_(_dot_)_emsphone_(_dot_)_com> wrote:
[...]
>>  Actually I was hoping for some feedback from people effectively using
>> Oracle[XE] on FreeBSD. Anyone ?
>
>  Sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread.  I am not exactly sure
>  what you are looking for, so I will just let you know how I run Oracle
>  on FreeBSD.  I haven't run an install since 8.x.x, since they went to
>  the Java installer.  I could never get it to stop locking up.  So I
>  copied a 9.2 directory from one of our linux servers.  We install in
>  the standard /u01/app/oracle/product/, I put the directory structure
>  in /usr and created a /u01 link.  The oracle user on my system does
>  have the linux bash as its default shell, I only use this userid for
>  running CreateDBs.  Everything works great running with my standard
>  userid and I also install gqlplus & sqldeveloper (very useful). I have
>  a start up script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, which starts up the listener
>  and the db.  I haven't had a need to upgrade to 10.x, but I am going
>  to soon.  Hope this isn't completely useless info for you. :-)

  Yes, it helps. So I will keep the option to offer a Linux Bash shell
for the oracle user.

  Question is whether I should make it default the Linux bash shell or
a FreeBSD shell ?

Thank you,
Adrian.