[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Bad unicode `-' in manpages
- To: Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3_(_at_)_amdmi3_(_dot_)_ru>
- Subject: Re: Bad unicode `-' in manpages
- From: Anonymous <swell_(_dot_)_k_(_at_)_gmail_(_dot_)_com>
- Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:33:46 +0300
- Cc: freebsd-current_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:cc:subject:references :date:in-reply-to:message-id:user-agent:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=N0xMq3n5PF3Itqfyrb2HUGEcEHUN0Dc3KZcMk3OAVk4=; b=EfKgbv4yJnELOl5vo7NsFptoi3B2ZoW7inQXMsPqx8rlt7LkgL+m8qQ3R9yQIDCFIG 1z5yIS/DoKsKX5QFgxdevMTfd0Cst2xTpkgNWSbXZcHjav3WXRL4RThME1I3Ve++oO4o qpvOxJVPtxcRnyPecuYgZ+B2puvLv1ZOG1y4k=
Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3_(_at_)_amdmi3_(_dot_)_ru> writes:
> It seems like unicode was introduced into man pages on current.
> "Include directory entries whose names begin with a dot (‘.’)"
> indeed looks better than
> "Include directory entries whose names begin with a dot (`.')"
> , I'm concerned about (at least) minus sign, which was changed from
> `-' (U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS) symbol to `−' (U+2212 MINUS SIGN) everywhere.
> Now most of man pages basically provide false info, and copypasting
> or search are now impossible.
Have you tried to change locale to `C' or invoke man(1) with `-o'?
locale `C' and `-o' option produce `groff -S -Wall -mtty-char -man -Tascii'
locale `en_US.UTF-8' produces
`groff -S -Wall -mtty-char -man -Tutf8 -dlocale=en.UTF-8'
Anyway, same here, but I vaguely remember it first appeared about half a
year ago. And I think it can cause trouble when trying to view localized
man page written in unicode when you can't escape to either `C' locale
or `-o' option.
freebsd-current_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-current-unsubscribe_(_at_)_freebsd_(_dot_)_org"
Visit your host, monkey.org