Code layout and debugging time

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 08:27:27PM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
: meaningful comments.  It evolved, to a large degree, into a "comment
: every line" rule, partly for esthetic reasons and partly just to avoid
: having to worry about whether you'd be criticized for omitting too many.

In our current project, one of the managers (we have a small software dept)
has suggested a few macros to use as function headers.  They are absolutely
god-awful.  Huge, useless, unmaintainable, space hogs.  I refuse to use
them.  Picture a chunk of about 12 comment lines, complete with '=' banners
at top and bottom, along with (rarely used) fields for inputs, outputs,
summary, author, date, and so on.

I have no problem providing the info for my methods, but I hate having to
play with tab keys, '=' signs, and word wrapping in the process.
Inevitably, the function outgrows the header, and the header becomes
inaccurate.

jonathon