[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

available free disk space on /usr and crash



Hi,

I am tracking FreeBSD 5.3 stable and somehow got to a state where df 
reported:

Filesystem  1K-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    253678     53606   179778    23%    /
devfs               1         1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e    253678        88   233296     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f   4261038   3989064   -68908   102%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1g  13999734  11318544  1561212    88%    /usr/home
/dev/ad2s1  153844706 133929864  7607266    95%    /usr/srv/disk1
/dev/ad1s1d 109093546  39760220 60605844    40%    /usr/srv/disk2
/dev/ad0s1d    253678     53858   179526    23%    /var

I don't have the slightest idea how this happened, but thought someone 
should be notified. I didn't really do anything with the /usr partition 
beside of cvsuping and rebuilding world and the ports from time to time. 
The freebsd machine is used as a server and runs a vsftpd, samba, 
apache2 and a subversion server. Deleting a few files brought the free 
disk space on /usr back to a positive number.

I also managed to lock up FreeBSD (just before I noticed the free disk 
space problem). I uploaded a larger (well, 31MB) encrypted (via PGP) 
file to a samba network directory from my WinXP client machine (freebsd 
runs samba 3.0.10 just for the case it mattered, the samba directory is 
located on the /usr/home partition). I ran PGP (on my windows machine) 
and pointed it to the encrypted file located on the network. After 
having decrypted about 30% of the file FreeBSD kind of locked up, or at 
least it stopped responding (I couldn't even ping the freeBSD machine 
anymore). Pressing the power-off button seemed to force FreeBSD shutdown 
properly, so I guess the computer wasn't as dead as I had thought.

My dmesg follows:

Copyright (c) 1992-2005 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
         The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #20: Thu Jan 13 16:07:57 CET 2005
     root_(_at_)_server_(_dot_)_bsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU                1100MHz (1096.67-MHz 
686-class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6b1  Stepping = 1
 
Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
real memory  = 200015872 (190 MB)
avail memory = 190242816 (181 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <D815EW EW81510A>
ioapic0: Changing APIC ID to 1
ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
npx0: [FAST]
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
acpi0: <D815EW EW81510A> on motherboard
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
Timecounter "ACPI-safe" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
acpi_timer0: <24-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0x408-0x40b on acpi0
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_button0: <Power Button> on acpi0
pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
agp0: <Intel 82815 (i815 GMCH) SVGA controller> mem 
0xffa80000-0xffafffff,0xf8000000-0xfbffffff irq 16 at device 2.0 on pci0
pcib1: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 30.0 on pci0
pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem 
0xff8ff800-0xff8ff8ff irq 22 at device 10.0 on pci1
miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
rl0: Ethernet address: 00:06:4f:02:54:38
rl1: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 
0xff8ffc00-0xff8ffcff irq 23 at device 11.0 on pci1
miibus1: <MII bus> on rl1
rlphy1: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus1
rlphy1:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
rl1: Ethernet address: 00:06:4f:02:54:37
isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 31.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <Intel ICH2 UDMA100 controller> port 
0xffa0-0xffaf,0x376,0x170-0x177,0x3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 31.1 on pci0
ata0: channel #0 on atapci0
ata1: channel #1 on atapci0
uhci0: <Intel 82801BA/BAM (ICH2) USB controller USB-A> port 
0xef80-0xef9f irq 19 at device 31.2 on pci0
uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
usb0: <Intel 82801BA/BAM (ICH2) USB controller USB-A> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached)
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x64,0x60 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ppc0: <Standard parallel printer port> port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on acpi0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
orm0: <ISA Option ROM> at iomem 0xc0000-0xcbfff on isa0
pmtimer0 on isa0
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1096670500 Hz quality 800
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
ad0: 19541MB <Maxtor 92041U4/FA520S60> [39703/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
ad1: 117246MB <Maxtor 6Y120L0/YAR41VW0> [238216/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA100
ad2: 152627MB <ST3160023A/3.06> [310101/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA100
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a


Regards,

Aron