Speeding up device discovery: paper

Hi all,

I found this paper an interesting skim, even if only for the numbers and timings: http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~knutson/publications/IrDA_Assisted_BT_Discovery.pdf

It is very much a rehash of the old broadcast vs point-to-point dichotomy.

I don't think IrDA is the answer for most deployments, but it's an interesting piece of research as it sheds light on how the discovery mechanisms operate (without having to read the entire
specification), and how these might be sped up or worked around.

I keep wishing Bluetooth had passive scanning like 802.11 does.

cheers...
BMS