Re: Experiences with RELENG_7

Roland Smith wrote:
On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 01:44:21AM +0200, Kris Kennaway wrote:
Roland Smith wrote:
Hovewer, sometimes a program seems to hog the CPU for a couple of
seconds (as seen in top(1))
Can you please explain (with supporting paste of command output) what you mean by this?

I'll save some top output next time. But what happened was this; all of
a sudden the mouse pointer started moving erratically, and the music
playing in audacious started skipping. All other X programs started
responding erratically as well. It looked like the X server wasn't
getting any CPU time. After starting top in a terminal I saw that telak
was at 99% WCPU. That is odd, because it's job is to keep a couple of
pictures on the X root window updated every minute. I've used the same
port (same version even) on 6-STABLE with SCHED_4BSD without these
symptoms. It is started from my ~/.xinitrc.

After killing telak, the situation returned to normal. I restarted
telak, and a couple of hours later it happened again.

Sounds like the issue is that telak is misbehaving. The scheduler will not cause it to suddenly chew up CPU when it should be sleeping.

It also happened with cc1 when I was compiling a port. In that case the
situation returned to normal when that particular instance was
finished. That compilation was running in a terminal window that was
iconified at the time.

This may be unrelated. The new version of gcc has higher memory requirements, and it is common for it to access swap during compilation when the system is also busy running other tasks. If you see it happening with cc again, make sure to check this.

In case I forgot to mention it, I deleted and recompiled all ports after
the 6->7 update to make sure there was no old cruft lying around. I am
running a custom kernel because I'm using GEOM_ELI. Do you need to see
my kernel config?

What are you using GELI for? If it's encrypting data used by those processes that will of course add to the load.

Kris