Re: New Opteron box, dedicated to PostgreSQL

Jan Mikkelsen wrote:
Hi,

Axel Rau wrote:
1. Are there any precautions in fbsd to prevent from excessive page switching between the memory nodes? E.g. what happens if file cache pages (heavily used by Pg, planned 6GB) frequently not found on local node?

Not that I'm aware of.  FreeBSD doesn't have NUMA awareness.
FreeBSD does not support this. I've been working on the scheduler side of things, but I do not understand the VM well enough to do that side of it.
2. If there is no good solution for this problem, does it make sense to stay with one dualcore (soon quadcore) processor?
No. 2 memory controllers beats 1, even with the remote penalty occuring.

The difference either way will be fairly trivial, though.

Benchmark and see.

4. Can I install the system on an Areca raid?

Yes.  If you are planning to use 6.2-RELEASE, make sure that you get the
arcmsr driver from 6-STABLE.  The arcmsr driver in 6.2-RELEASE can show
I/O errors under high load.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen