Re: SMP system not running SMP

In message <E1FtkLO-000IxV-Pa_(_at_)_dilbert_(_dot_)_firstcallgroup_(_dot_)_co_(_dot_)_uk>, Pete French writes
:
>> BIOS, I assume that's theoretically possible.  The other is to figure out
>> why the machine hangs during waiting for devices to settle with ACPI enabled.

>That's the preferred path I think - I'd also like to see if this is SCSI
>in general or just Adaptec SCSI. As I also have a ciss caard in my
>machine I will try it both ways.

Cool.  I don't have any relevant non-Adaptec SCSI to hand, although it might
be interesting to try it with a very old Symbios card.

Do we have any cases of this failing on systems with add-on SCSI cards, or is
it always the onboard SCSI?

>> I'm not sure which list fits this best; there's not really a good list for
>> "anything happening on an Opteron whether or not it's in amd64 mode".
>
>I have been thinking about this - it's probably not the Opteron per-se, bbut
>the chipset used to support it. What chipset is used on your motherboard ?

According to SuperMicro:
* AMD 8131 HyperTransport PCI-X Tunnel
* AMD 8111 HyperTransport I/O Hub

-s