Re: Sun x2100 Server Compatability

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:01:10 -0500
Vivek Khera <vivek_(_at_)_khera_(_dot_)_org> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Daniel Rock wrote:
>
> > Nathan Vidican schrieb:
> >> Any known issues running FreeBSD/amd64 on a Sun x2100 server?
> >> Single opteron box, dual GigE, 80GB S-ATA, 1GB Ram, specs as below:
> >
> > The X2100 is based on a Tyan Tomcat K8E (S2865) mainboard without
> > PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports. So you should look at success
> > reports for this board.
>
> Any more info you found out about this?  I'm about to order one of
> these to test unless I find out otherwise it doesn't work.
>
> My only concern is that one of the ethernets is bge and the other is
> nve which is not known to be that stable, and I need both ports...  I
> suspect it will be ok, though.  If push comes to shove I guess
> installing an intel NIC card would not be out of the question.
>
> The rest of the hardware seems to be supported based on chipsets I
> looked up from kernel boot messages from linux, openbsd, and netbsd
> posted on the web.  curiously i never found a boot message from
> anyone running freebsd...

I think these are priced in the low-mid $500 and include low profile cd-
rom:

<http://www.tyan.com/products/html/gt20b2865.html>

The Sun unit looks very attractive though and I'd be very interested in
your feedback should you go that route (or even if you don't and go w/
Tyan).  Need to get something along these lines my self real soon
now...;-)

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson