Re: AMD64 CPU and ACPI (was Re: Configuration of Compaq R3000)

I just installed 5.4 on a HP Media Center PC (AMD64) and it won't boot with ACPI enabled - the screen goes blank and vertical lines are drawn on it. Works fine, though with ACPI disabled.

Richard Schilling

Michael W. Oliver wrote:
On 2005-01-27T12:42:58-0800, Nate Lawson wrote:

Michael W. Oliver wrote:

I've been working on a cpufreq driver for about 6 months now. Work unfortunately has made progress too slow. I have taken a vacation day to work on FreeBSD and plan to import a stripped down version (no throttling support) very soon.

As always, your support is much appreciated Nate.  You do fine work.

The driver is a general cpufreq framework and two hardware drivers, one for SpeedStep ICH and one for ACPI Px states (like acpi_ppc but a separate implementation). Other drivers, like SpeedStep Centrino and Powernow, can easily be hooked into the framework by their maintainers and imported into the general tree. I've wanted to keep them as ports for now so that I could prototype the framework before importing it. That way we wouldn't have to restructure millions of cpu hardware drivers after the fact.

The short answer is that a similar capability should be imported soon.

Excellent!

I do see some ACPI errors on my laptop when I boot it up, such as:

(dmesg -a | grep -i acpi):
acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization start
acpi_acad0: acline initialization start
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_acad0: On Line
acpi_acad0: acline initialization done, tried 1 times
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 70 us
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 100 us
acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization failed, giving up   <-- ugh!
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 130 us
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 170 us
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 900 us
acpi_ec0: info: new max delay is 11000 us
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)
acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (154.8C)

This all indicates your embedded controller is not responding. It's important to figure out why. Can you post a link to your full dmesg too?

You betcha.

http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/dmesg.txt
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/usbdevs.txt
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/pciconf.txt

Almost everything on this laptop works with FreeBSD.  In fact, I have
more hardware support with 64bit FreeBSD than I do with 64bit Windows!

acpidump stuff is here:
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/acpidump.asl
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/dsdt.out
http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/sysctl_hw.acpi

Thanks, I'll eventually take a look at this but hopefully you understand that I've set aside bugfixing for a short while to complete longer term projects.

Totally understandable Nate, take your time.  I am not going anywhere ;)