Re: future for FBSD on alpha

Quoting Richard Loken, who wrote on Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 11:06:15AM -0600 ..
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> > basically if you install port sysutils/bsdstats (just a shell script),
> > it will send a message from your box monthly to to bsdstats.org
> > with arch, os version, etc. The idea is to lobby software
> > producers into supporting their stuff on bsd by showing a large number
> > of live bsd systems.
>
> It is shame that I (and maybe a few thousand other Alpha FreeBSD users)
> hadn't heard of bsdstats and bsdstats.org five or more years ago.  I find
> it amazing that the open source OS's for Alphas are deemed dead befor HP
> themselves have finished filling in the grave.

What do you expect here?  bsdstats or not, the fact that the developer
community has moved on to work on modern hardware (like on the amd64 port
for example) is not related at all to how many Alphas showed up on bsdstats.

Rather, the fact that the volunteer developers that make FreeBSD to what it
is have voted with their feet.  Nothing that bsdstats or anything else
can help here.

Wilko

--
Wilko Bulte		wilko_(_at_)_FreeBSD_(_dot_)_org