Re: No X server on Alpha?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> > Does anyone know why xorg-server is marked not for alpha?
>
> no, but gcc42 is also marked not for alpha, but builds fine on my ds10l.
>
> Perhaps you could comment this line and give it a try.

I agree, force the port to install.  And, by the way, most alphas run with
serial terminals but not all.  I am running X on my PC164 and it works
just fine but my card choices were limited and I found I needed an SVGA
card with LOTS of on board memory to do what could be done with any junky
S3 card when running Linux on Intel.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS  : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn