Re: AFS in FreeBSD ...

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

This discussion is for the *client* part only, right?

Is the server part userland-only and hence easier to port, or is it more complicated to get the server running on FreeBSD. The only server software out there in decent shape is OpenAFS, I guess? Milko (arla's companion), it seems, hasn't left alpha stage.

My understanding, and I've not investigated this personally, is that the OpenAFS server works fine on FreeBSD as-is.

So for a FreeBSD only setup, arla client and OpenAFS server is the most probable solution?

It sounds like this should already work for FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x, but not yet for 7.x/8.x. The viewpoint I'm arguing is that by getting nnpfs in the base FreeBSD source tree (and I've talked with tol_(_at_)_arla about this in the past), we get the Arla client running more sustainably on FreeBSD such that people running the latest release have access to it, and also FreeBSD developers who run especially premature releases :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge