Re: AFS in FreeBSD ...

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

As Robert has stated in the thread I started last week, he's willing to lend a hand with getting the kenrel module *as part of* the kernel, but what does it take to get it to that point?

I just downloaded Jason's initial port attempt, but it is almost a year old:

        <http://www.stradamotorsports.com/~jcw/openafs/>

Has anyone looked at the work he's done so far? Ignoring the client side for now, Jason, what would it take to get your work to the point where Robert could inject it into the core FreeBSD system, as opposed to an 'add on'? What would be involved in getting 1.5.x working?

I'm not sure there's a benefit to importing the OpenAFS server into the FreeBSD src tree, given that it's already well-maintained and fairly functional as a port. The main area of potential benefit is, in fact, the Arla client, which would then be able to track FreeBSD VFS changes, and offers a relatively static interface to the userland components that could continue to live in the port.

After chatting with a few of the OpenAFS folks, the current concensus is that the OpenAFS client kernel parts are a lot more involved than the Arla ones, as much of the cache manager is implemented there, whereas with Arla it's just a user file system interface and so a lot less complex.

So I think the short-term plan, if the Arla folks are willing and we can get a functional Arla module sync'd to 8-CURRENT, would be to get nnpfs into FreeBSD's src/sys.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge