Re: Semi-working patch for amd64 suspend/resume

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Jung-uk Kim wrote:

The port 0x80 is usually used for BIOS debugging.

http://www.coreboot.org/FAQ#POST_card

Probably BIOS developer forgot to comment out the lines. :-)

Or it's been left in as a diagnostic tool. My motherboard has a built-in LED display wired up to port 0x80, and it flashes various numbers as it passes different stages of booting. Useful for detecting various types of failure, nicer than the beep codes. It can also be handy for kernel debugging, when you can't use printf. A very thoughtful feature on the motherboard designer's part.

Btw, I'm interested to test the patch, and I'll do so when I have a chance. This is a feature I've been awaiting for some time.

--

Nate Eldredge
neldredge_(_at_)_math_(_dot_)_ucsd_(_dot_)_edu